Regrettably despite the best endeavours of the Road Safety Authority and other bodies accidents on our roads are still all too common.

At Carmody Moran our expert solicitors understand that in the aftermath of a car crash or road traffic accident you need confidence and trust in the advice that you receive and you need to know that the matter will be dealt with quickly, expertly, and sensitively.


Our team of personal injury solicitors will be on hand to guide you through the process and help assess if your case is likely to succeed and if so how much you might be able to claim in compensation and the legal process in taking your claim further.


In their 2014 mid-year report the Injuries Board state that 75.6% of their awards relate to motor liability and that road traffic accidents continue to account for the majority of personal injury accident claims.

The average compensation award made by the Injuries Board this year was €22,349.

To establish whether or not you should take a claim for an injury arising from a road traffic accident or car crash your solicitor will need to meet with you and discuss the matter.

It is particularly useful to have details of the following with you:

  • The date and time of the accident
  • How it happened, who was at fault
  • Names and contact details of any witnesses
  • Insurance details for the parties to the car crash including your details if applicable
  • Any receipts or out of pocket expenses
  • Details of any medical treatment
  • Any documents relating to your claim

Following a first meeting we will advise you on whether or not to take legal action and we will write to you with details summarizing the advices given to you and regarding your case with full information regarding our role when acting for you and the process involved.

“From my first initial meeting with Tony I felt my stress easing having come through such a terrible ordeal. It was great to  know we were in safe hands”
C Madden - Blanchardstown , Dublin 15


Question1. I have been involved in a car accident what should I do?

The first thing you must do is look after yourself. That includes getting yourself and any other car occupants to safety and seeking medical attention if necessary. The Gardaí should be notified of the accident and their advice sought before leaving the scene of the accident.

All parties should exchange details such as the car registration numbers, insurance details, and contact details. Contact details for any witnesses to the accident should be obtained. If possible photographs should be taken to have a true record of events.

Even if you are not at fault for the accident, you should contact your insurance company and notify them of the accident. A failure to do so could cause you difficulties down the line.

We strongly recommend that you promptly obtain legal advice.

Question2. I have had an accident, am I entitled to compensation?

At Carmody Moran solicitors our experienced personal injury lawyers can advise you as to whether or not you have a justifiable claim that entitle you to compensation. Once we meet with you and you have explained the circumstances of your accident we will be in a position to advise you as to whether or not your case is likely to succeed and how much you might be entitled to by way of compensation.


  3. I have been involved in a car accident but the other driver left the scene of the accident  before the gardai arrived, what should I do now?

Hopefully you may have managed to obtain some details of the other driver involved in the accident and / or the other car registration number.

If there are any witnesses to the accident it is important to obtain their contact details as these could be of real assistance in the future. Again, we strongly recommend taking photographs and as much details as possible such as a sketch map to record the accident.

The driver may be traced and if so a claim will progress in the normal way. If the driver proves to be untraceable we can advise you in relation to the Motor Insurer’s Bureau of Ireland Agreement

Question4. My children have been involved in a car accident. Can a claim be brought on their behalf?

Absolutely. If your son or daughter is under the age of eighteen and has been involved in an accident, a parent or guardian can act as their ‘next friend’ and bring a claim on their behalf.

Question5. We were involved in a car accident where the other driver was not insured, can anything be done?

Don’t worry a claim can still be pursued. In these type of cases the claim involves the Motor Insurer’s Bureau of Ireland as well as the uninsured driver.


Fill out my online form.