Personal Injury Jargon Buster
Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Dublin City Centre
Personal Injury Jargon Buster
The law can seem daunting and the language unwieldy and archaic. At Carmody Moran Solicitors Blanchardstown we have a commitment to using plain English. We have detailed below some of the most commonly used legal terms and a plain English explanation in our personal injury jargon buster that we hope will be useful.
- PIAB: the Personal Injuries Assessment Board, now known as InjuriesBoard.ie
- Personal Injury: a legal term for an injury to the body, mind, or emotions, as opposed to an injury to property.
- Statute of Limitations: the time limits set down by law to take action before a matter becomes statute-barred. The time limits to take action to vary depending on the type of matter.
- Statute barred: because of delay an action can fail
- Litigation: a Court dispute
- Plaintiff: the Applicant to the Court dispute
- Defendant: the Respondent to the Court dispute
- Negligence: a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would have or harm caused by carelessness
- Contributory Negligence: an action that effectively contributed to making the harm caused to the person worse (for example not wearing a seat belt in a car accident)
- Duty of Care: the standard of reasonable care expected when performing an action that could give rise to harm to others (for example lawyers owe a duty of care to their clients, as do doctors to their patients so as to avoid medical negligence)
- Breach of Duty: a failure to adhere to the standard of care expected
- Employer’s liability: Employer’s owe a duty of care to their employee’s for example to provide a safe place of work. For example in a factory to ensure that there is a safe system of work
- Product liability: manufacturers making products available to the public must make sure that the product is safe and can be held responsible for the injuries that the product causes if it is dangerous. For example, food must not be contaminated so as to make it poisonous
- Compensation: the law’s endeavour to put a person back in the place they would have been but for the act arising
- Out-of-Court Settlement: the early resolution of litigation on or before or during a court hearing
Your Expert Personal Injuries Legal Team in Blanchardstown
At Carmody Moran Solicitors our experienced personal injury solicitors are on hand to advise and skilled in handling all nature of personal injury.
The two partners of Carmody Moran solicitors have a combined total of in excess of twenty five years professional legal experience. Together with their associates they aim to make the Court process as straight forward and navigable as possible while being on hand to alleviate their clients concerns and worries about going through the Court process.
Anthony Carmody is one of the founding Partners of Carmody Moran Solicitors.
He has significant experience in personal injury cases and general litigation having handled literally thousands of cases on behalf of clients based in Ireland and abroad.
Niamh Moran is one of the founding partners of Carmody Moran Solicitors and is a solicitor with wide ranging experience across all areas of general practice.
Niamh manages the family law, conveyancing in Dublin, and probate divisions of the practice. Niamh’s practice of law is extremely varied and she is regularly sought out for her expertise by clients and colleagues alike.
*While we have made every effort to provide accurate information, the law is always changing and it affects each person differently. This information is not a substitute for specific advice about you personally and it is not intended as legal advice. We will not be liable to you if you rely on this information. In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with Reg.8 of SI 518 of 2002.
You should note that no solicitor/client relationship or duty of care or liability of any nature shall exist or be deemed to exist between Carmody Moran Solicitors and you until you have received a written letter of engagement from us in which we confirm our appointment as your Solicitors.
INDEPENDENT GOOGLE CLIENT REVIEWS